How to get a Prepaid Movistar MicroSim Card in Argentina for a Apple 6
This is the easiest way I know to get started. A friend has just returned from the US with a new Apple 6 phone that only takes a micro chip. There are lots of options but this is the easiest in my opinion. Use Movistar.
You find Movistar at Av. Santa Fe 1844 (corner of Callao and Santa Fe).
Here is the process: #adp02
- Someone will greet you as you enter. They will have a Tablet. They will ask you your name and what you are looking to do. Give your name to them and then tell them you are looking to buy a prepago micro chip. They will enter in your name and request into the Tablet.
- Then go up an escalator where you’ll see an LCD screen with your name. There will be two numbers associated with your name. A No. 0XX and number for a desk. There will be a series of desks around the floor. They all have numbers on them. Find the number that correlates details on the screen. The lower numbers are located back down the escalator on the main floor.
- Ask for a pre-paid chip and show them your phone. They will know which phone takes which chip (at least they knew an iphone4 takes a micro-sim). I just said “Chip prepago” and they knew what I was looking for.
- There will be a series of questions. You will need your passport, a credit card, and your address in Buenos Aires.
- They will write all of that down in their computer, they will probably dissapear once or twice to a printer and to get the chip.
- They will insert the chip into your phone and ensure it is activated and working.
- You will need to sign the document they print out.
- In about 15 minutes you are back on the street with a pre-paid phone.
Your phone won’t have any credit on it when you walk out of the Movistar office. You’ll need to add credit to it. There is a Kiosko all around the city where you can buy credit.
To add the credits you bought at the Kiosko simply:
- call *444 and wait for the nice voice
- press 2 and wait for the nice voice
- press 1 and wait for the nice voice
- Enter the number that was under the scratch away section of the credit you bought
- Enter #
- Hang up
You can also recharge without having to go through the voice commands.
- Go to your phone application
- Dial *444*The number that was under the scratch away section of the credit you bought#
- Hit call.
- You will receive an instant confirmation that your credit was added.
An other, and often easier way to add credit is to simply go into any Locoturiou (you’ll see them everywhere) and ask to recharge your moviestar phone. They will ask you what your number is and how much you’d like to add to your account. They will type that information into a machine and you will receive a text telling you the amount has been added. You pay the clerk in cash.
You should almost immediately receive a text saying that the credit was added to your account.
Buying Data Access
There are a number of prepaid data packages you can get. It is cheap.
To activate it simply text “Datos” (without the quotes) to 2345. You’ll get a text back saying it will be activated shortly. Then a text a moment after that saying that it is activated. You’re now all set.
That is it. Good luck
About Gateway to South America
Gateway to South America was established in 2006 as a single office in Buenos Aires. The company has since expanded into a vibrant regional network, servicing the Southern Cone communities of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay with professional real estate services. Founded by Geoffrey McRae a New Zealander who maintains an active role in the business it has developed into an International team that has a well-deserved reputation for strong local knowledge, experience and professionalism. I hope you enjoy reading our news site. Please share it on your social media below.